Friday, 13 January 2012

How to be an Outstanding Teacher


Book Review
How to be an Outstanding Teacher
David Dunn (Continuum Press 2011)

I'm in the process of returning to work after a virus poleaxed me, and I have to confess that it's daunting. Can I remember how to 'do' it? I turned to this book to help remind me about the core principles and values. It didn't disappoint.
Its chapters summarise the central issues: relationships, planning, personalised learning, AiFL, management, differentiation, questioning, community cohesion, starters, pleneries, homework, classroom support and self evaluation and CPD. Designed to show the standards Ofsted would consider 'oustanding', it is as applicable here in Scotland as anywhere. Well worth the price.
Word of advice, to self as to anyone else, try to change one thing at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment